Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Prospective backpack-making video

I mentioned back on July 23 that part of my job had become factory work. This part of the job has continued to this day, and has become a pretty full part of my job due to the back-to-school and tourist season. This is also a big part of the reason that this blog has not received daily updates as I'd originally planned. (But I'm collecting material in the meantime, boy am I ever.)

As I build up some expertise in the production of the school supplies that we make, I've come to enjoy the process and the workshop environment more and more. I love working with my hands. I'm just waiting for someone to ask me, "Is that what your six years of grad school were for?" so I can answer a resounding: "Yes! That, and any other job I have the fortune of getting experience from!"

My boss, the company's founder and owner, mentioned today that I had developed a particular style in the task of finishing backpacks. He compared it to what a good bartender does. It makes sense: I've probably made a thousand or two backpacks by now, and the routine is getting pretty streamlined.

It may be a video to put on the company website, he said.

Before that happens, I think I'd better improve the routine even more. It will be a while. You read it here first.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License
This Israeli Life by Michael Eliyahou is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.